Tanya's Book List 2017!
* = top picks
Some quick facts:
Total books = 54 (same as last year)
Some quick facts:
Total books = 54 (same as last year)
Audiobooks
= 25 (46%)
Non-fiction = 12 (22%)
Non-fiction = 12 (22%)
Set in England =
20 (69% of fiction books)
Mysteries = 19
(66% of fiction books)
In order read...
1. Future Sex
- Emily Witt - Witt invites the reader to follow along on the journey
of sexual discovery in a welcoming and thought-provoking way. I wanted more of
her own journey to be present in the narrative - there were bits of her story that
felt flat and incomplete at times.
2. The Mystery
of the Blue Train - Agatha Christie
– Hercule Poirot. One of three Christie mysteries this year. They are my
comfort food.
3. His Bloody
Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae - Graeme Macrae Burnet - A gripping story, build around the testimony of the
accused, witness statements, courtroom newspapers, and expert testimonies, all
set in 1869 Scottish highlands.
4. Bunnicula
(Bunnicula, #1) - James Howe –
Funny and cute YA book about a bunny and a mystery…
5. *Do Not Say
We Have Nothing - Madeleine Thien
- A beautifully written and wonderfully told
story. I knew almost nothing about China's Cultural Revolution or Tiananmen
Square, now I feel like I gained some real insight into Chinese culture and
recent history.
6. Love 2.0: How
Our Supreme Emotion Affects Everything We Feel, Think, Do, and Become - Barbara L. Fredrickson - This would have been much better as an article, as it
could've been summed up in a few thousand words. I generally like the idea of
rethinking the concept of love and expanding the number of opportunities we
give ourselves to experience deep connection.
7. The Walking
Man - Paul Dore - I sank deep into this book and finished it in the
course of a weekend. An immersive story of loneliness and connection, memory
and visions. The surrealist dreamscape that the protagonist walks through is
reminiscent of those created by Dave Eggers and William T. Vollmann.
8. The Murder on
the Links - Agatha Christie – Hercule
Poirot. Not sure what else to say about these…
9. *Nonviolent
Communication: A Language of Life - Marshall
B. Rosenberg - Amazing resource for
improving how I relate to others and to ourselves. There were so many tips and
examples that I will take with me and use in my relationships, work, and
family. I'm convinced that understanding the core feelings and needs behind the
words we say can bring more harmony and happiness to our lives and the world.
10. Crocodile on
the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) - Elizabeth
Peters - A "classic" that I
didn't think held up very well in the modern era. What may have seemed feminist
at the time now feels horribly retrograde, with women fainting right and left,
and generally being dramatic, and the men being stoic and protective.
11. *Next Year,
for Sure - Zoey Leigh Peterson -
The characters feel amazingly real and complex.
It's portrays love and relationships in all their complexity. Set in Toronto!
12. The Christie
Caper (Death on Demand, #7) - Carolyn G.
Hart – Moderately entertaining. Clearly written for Christie fans.
Set in a small bookstore with an amateur sleuth detective.
13. *Telex from
Cuba - Rachel Kushner - Engrossing story of the time right before the
revolution in Cuba. Kushner depicts the world inhabited by the employees (and
their kids) of the American companies there. The expat parties, the wealth
disparity, the puppet president and his mistress, the actions of the rebels all
swirl around each other in this book.
14. The Cat Who
Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) - Lilian
Jackson Braun - An early "Cat
Who..." mystery, before Qwill moves to the small town. Good, fun mystery
WITH CATS!
15. *Stepping Off
the Relationship Escalator: Uncommon Love and Life - Amy Gahran - This book is great for expanding the way we think about relationships.
More than a "how to" this book provides tons of examples of the many
ways that people can be close to one another.
16. The Tin Roof
Blowdown (Dave Robicheaux, #16) - James
Lee Burke – Got this Hurricane Katrina mystery while I was in New
Orleans. It’s fun to read mysteries set in places I’m visiting.
17. What Love
Is: And What It Could Be - Carrie S.I.
Jenkins - Fascinating and well-argued
book about exploring what romantic love is, and how it is shaped by biology and
society
18. Beneath the
Lion's Gaze - Maaza Mengiste –
Set in Ethiopia and I read it while there. A good book about revolution and
family and chaos. Some parts felt slow.
19. Norse
Mythology - Neil Gaiman – I know
many people enjoyed this book but I wasn’t particularly feeling it. Myths are
so traditional and moralistic – I realize that’s kinda the point but they didn’t
feel particularly fresh or insightful.
20. The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) - Lev Grossman – Excellent book in a great
series! I rarely enjoy a fantasy book as much as I did this one. The female
characters are strong and badass without it being because of their gender and
without it being remarked upon.
21. *Magpie
Murders - Anthony Horowitz – LOVED
this book. It was a great mystery and kept me entertained for many long hours
on rough roads in Kenya. I loved the way the story within a story played out.
22. Water Music
- T.C. Boyle – An entertaining, epic
adventure story about Scottish explorers in western Africa, with all the
follies, tragedy, and ignorance you’d expect. So interesting to contemplate how
hard it’d be to travel with only letters and sporadic mail service for
correspondence.
23. *Tuesday
Nights in 1980 - Molly Prentiss –
One of my top books of the year. The characters – artists in NYC – and the
descriptions of art and color and carving a new life in a new city still creep
into my thoughts regularly. Written by a Santa Cruz author!
24. Stormbreaker
(Alex Rider, #1) - Anthony Horowitz
– I picked up a new more Anthony Horowitz books after readying Magpie
Murders. This one is a teen spy novel, in the vein of James Bond.
25. The House of
Silk (Sherlock Holmes, #1) - Anthony
Horowitz – London, 1890. Horowitz does a great job at continuing the
Sherlock characters and story in the traditional manner. The author is also
author of a bunch of the British TV mystery shows I love, including Foyle’s
War.
26. *News of the
World - Paulette Jiles – A delightful
story set in the American west after the Civil War. It’s not a complicated
story, just lovely characters and beautiful connection between a father-figure
and the orphan he’s charged with delivering to her relatives.
27. Love's
Refraction: Jealousy and Compersion in Queer Women's Polyamorous Relationships
- Jillian Deri – Very specific to the
lives of those interviewed and it didn’t do as much as I’d like with making the
learning experiences as broadly applicable.
28. Sea of
Poppies (Ibis Trilogy, #1) - Amitav Ghosh
- Fascinating and exciting historical
fiction set in the early 1800s in India. Several stories wind together to being
characters from many parts of society. Downsides: Some of the slang language is
hard to follow, and there are so many characters I had to write a list to keep
track.
29. Killers of
the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann - Great to learn this part of history that I knew nothing about. I felt it
went on about 1/3 longer than it needed to.
30. Dry Bones
that Dream (Inspector Banks, #7) - Peter
Robinson – The reader for these audiobooks is really great and has a
great accent. The mysteries are set near Yorkshire, England.
31. Innocent
Graves (Inspector Banks, #8) - Peter
Robinson – I liked this one less than the one above.
32. *Pride and
Prejudice - Jane Austen – Listened
to it again this year. One of my favorite books and if you haven’t read it,
please do.
33. Open Season
(Joe Gunther #1) - Archer Mayor –
Got this mystery from the mystery bookshop in Brattleboro, VT, where the book
is set. The mystery was better than many others I read this year, though with
quite a bit of violence.
34. The
Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality - Julie Sondra Decker – Very good book to better
understand asexuality. It was eye-opening and helpful. You could read about ½ of
it and get a full sense of the information presented.
35. The Art of
Three - Erin McRae – Romance book
with a MMF threesome at the center of it. Suffers from my romance novel pet-peeve,
which I won’t spoil. Low chili pepper rating (not sexually explicit)
36. The Essex
Serpent - Sarah Perry - This book has many similar themes and a similar feel
to Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures: 19th century women looking for
fossils and the religious professionals who are wary of them. I really
appreciated her examination of friendships- how many forms they can take, and
the importance they can have in someone's life.
37. England,
England - Julian Barnes - Quirky, entertaining, and imaginative. A meditation on
tourism, national character, and authenticity. I love the self-confidence of
the central female character.
38. Atonement
- Ian McEwan – Beautiful language but
jeez does the plot drag. His more recent stuff is SO much more entertaining
while still being beautifully written. Read Nutshell instead.
39. The Cat Who
Knew a Cardinal (Cat Who..., #12) - Lilian
Jackson Braun – CATS AND MYSTERIES. Love these cozy mysteries.
40. *Women's
Anatomy Of Arousal: Secret Maps To Buried Pleasure - Sheri Winston – Sex should be able
pleasure. Let’s do a better job of talking about it! Section Two - the actual anatomy guide - provided new information for me.
Highly recommended for everyone!
41. *All's Faire
in Middle School - Victoria Jamieson
- A beautifully drawn graphic novel and
powerfully told story of a middle schooler trying to fit in. As a former Faire
brat, I particularly loved the descriptions of the Faire community and the love
and acceptance that people of all ages find there.
42. The
Innocent (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #2)
- Taylor Stevens - A great thriller with a kickass, vigilante,
androgynous, smart, tough protagonist.
43. The Cat Who
Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16) - Lilian
Jackson Braun – Mr Q is such a fun curmudgeon.
44. Watership
Down (Watership Down, #1) - Richard Adams
- A charming fantasy story and a fun
adventure tale. It was fun to be immersed in the lives of bunnies and their
struggles for survival and freedom. The book is interspersed with folk tales
that the bunnies tell to each other.
45. The
Argonauts - Maggie Nelson – Memoir
about gender-fluidity, queer/transgender families, parenthood, feminism. Some
interesting discussion points but less profound than I think the author wanted
it to be.
46. At Bertram's
Hotel (Miss Marple, #11) - Agatha
Christie – Miss Marple and scones and a mystery!
47. The
Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3) - Lev
Grossman – I didn’t like the last book in the series as much as the
other two. Still, a great fantasy series with awesome women!
48. The Fifth
Season (The Broken Earth, #1) - N.K.
Jemisin – Intricately imagined fantasy world. Outside my normal
genres and I enjoyed dipping my toes in to this world of selective breeding,
earth-moving emotions, and adventuring.
49. Maisie Dobbs
(Maisie Dobbs, #1) - Jacqueline Winspear
– Almost was more of a historical fiction about post-WWI PTSD than it was a
mystery. Lady private investigator who uses intuition and meditation in the
course of her work.
50. The Wizard
of Oz - Salman Rushdie – Commentary on the making of the movie. Brilliant,
funny, thought-provoking, distracting, and comforting.
51. Emergent
Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds - Adrienne Maree Brown - An
energizing and inspiring book about the importance of working collaboratively,
with curiosity and openness, taking small steps in movements for social justice
and change.
52. The
Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) - Alan Bradley – Young lady sleuth in 1950s
English countryside.
53. Christmas at
The Mysterious Bookshop - Otto Penzler
- Delightful collection of short mysteries
all set at Christmas time! A perfect way to consume mysteries around the
holidays when I have no time for reading.
-->
54. The Ethical
Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships and Other Adventures
- Dossie Easton & Janet Hardy - New edition of the classic book. Good read for
all genders.
Comments