Off to work!
This morning, I did something I haven't done in a while: I left home to go work in an office. About a month ago I realized I wasn't feeling any motivation to work and knew that I had to change something if I wanted to keep myself sane and healthy. Thankfully, one month after blasting my options wide open things are beginning to settle.
I am keeping my job with Spirit in Action. And I am making a BIG change; this month I joined the Center for Social Innovation (CSI) in the Annex in Toronto. CSI is a co-working space, which means that it's an open office space that houses many different organizations, freelancers, and one-person companies. As noted in its name, CSI focuses on the social aspect of work and is made up of people who are working for good, no matter what their field. I feel like I fit right in.
Check out a slideshow of the space here: http://socialinnovation.ca/coworking
And so, this morning, I left the house at 9am and came into work. Right now I'm on a schedule that lets me work 20 hours a month in the building and I have the option to ramp up or down the hours as fits my schedule each month.
It's only my first day but here are some pros and cons I'm figuring out:
PRO: I can choose a seat at any number of tables on two different floors.
PRO: There's a great cafe on the bottom floor.
PRO: I get free tea (yipee!) and access to the communal kitchen.
PRO: There's a good work vibe all around me and I got a lot done this morning.
PRO: The work space is behind a locked door so I can leave my laptop out when I go to the bathroom without worrying about it.
CON: Ergonomics! I'll have to figure out a temporary desk setup that I can carry with me so that my desk/table works for my body.
CON: I don't know anyone yet, so it's like working communally with a bunch of strangers. There's an orientation next week, so I'm sure I'll start meeting people soon.
PRO/CON: I had to get dressed and out of my pajamas this morning. :)
PRO/CON: Talking transit in. It's so nice to get out of the house, but I was on a pretty full train in this morning. I may have to time that better...
Next week I'm going to reserve a meeting room (3 hours in the meeting room is included in my monthly fee) and invite my career coaching/blogging friend to come and work alone communally with me!
Overall, it's looking pretty positive. I'll keep you posted.
I am keeping my job with Spirit in Action. And I am making a BIG change; this month I joined the Center for Social Innovation (CSI) in the Annex in Toronto. CSI is a co-working space, which means that it's an open office space that houses many different organizations, freelancers, and one-person companies. As noted in its name, CSI focuses on the social aspect of work and is made up of people who are working for good, no matter what their field. I feel like I fit right in.
Check out a slideshow of the space here: http://socialinnovation.ca/coworking
And so, this morning, I left the house at 9am and came into work. Right now I'm on a schedule that lets me work 20 hours a month in the building and I have the option to ramp up or down the hours as fits my schedule each month.
It's only my first day but here are some pros and cons I'm figuring out:
PRO: I can choose a seat at any number of tables on two different floors.
PRO: There's a great cafe on the bottom floor.
PRO: I get free tea (yipee!) and access to the communal kitchen.
PRO: There's a good work vibe all around me and I got a lot done this morning.
PRO: The work space is behind a locked door so I can leave my laptop out when I go to the bathroom without worrying about it.
CON: Ergonomics! I'll have to figure out a temporary desk setup that I can carry with me so that my desk/table works for my body.
CON: I don't know anyone yet, so it's like working communally with a bunch of strangers. There's an orientation next week, so I'm sure I'll start meeting people soon.
PRO/CON: I had to get dressed and out of my pajamas this morning. :)
PRO/CON: Talking transit in. It's so nice to get out of the house, but I was on a pretty full train in this morning. I may have to time that better...
Next week I'm going to reserve a meeting room (3 hours in the meeting room is included in my monthly fee) and invite my career coaching/blogging friend to come and work alone communally with me!
Overall, it's looking pretty positive. I'll keep you posted.
Comments
A Blessing for Tanya and her new work space
May this be a place of Courage where renewal of body, mind and spirit are refreshed
where health and growth are loved – dignity and forgiveness prevail - where patience of spirit is prized, full of understanding and acceptance.
May this be a place of Joy
where there is kindness in the voices and laughter running through the walls - where joys and sorrows may be shared, and all who visit feel loved, at peace and appreciated.
May the books bring wisdom, the art symbolize all things beautiful, and the music bring joy and inspiration.
May this be a place of Discovery
Where the possibilities that sleep in the clay of Tanya’s soul, can emerge to deepen and refine their vision for all that is yet to come to birth.
May this be a place of Welcome, Peace and Great Delight - a place of love and understanding.
May Tanya and each person that crosses the threshold in this cooperative work space, experience each day as a sacred gift, woven around the heart of wonder and leave feeling honored, loved and blessed!
Adapted from a Blessing by John O’Donohue – “To Bless the Space Between Us”