Listening over the Wall


When I listened
I first heard a familiar tune,
Pulling me from sweeping the kitchen floor
Out onto the porch.

I listened more
And could just make out a well-known line,
It is well,
With a fainter echo, It is well.

I listened and heard three full verses.
Each time with a louder chorus,
It is well with my soul.

And then I listened below the music
Below the lyrics
And I heard the grief,
I heard determination,
Solidarity,
Disbelief,
Comfort.

They sang on and on
As I listened from afar.
I heard, felt the raw passion as the group sang
Over the fresh grave of someone who was
Clearly loved.

~By Tanya Cothran, 2013

Comments

sweet.
you live in a wonderful spot....
wow tanya beautiful poem!! thank you so much for sharing.
This comment has been removed by the author.
PoeTree said…
Nice... song & life. Thanks for sharing.
Michelle Youngblood said…
Beautiful poem Tanya. Thank you for sharing.
Tanya Cothran said…
Thank you all for the support, friends!

Popular Posts