How're those new year's resolutions holding up?
Very well, thank you!
My three New Year's Resolutions for 2013 were:
I also did this quick purse project last week, to add a little something new to my wardrobe. It was from some bits of old fabric.
My three New Year's Resolutions for 2013 were:
- More sewing
- More dancing
- Read more non-fiction
Basically, do more of the things I like doing! And I can say that so far, I am staying true to the goals.
SEWING
Just today I finished sewing a new dress! It's from a Vogue vintage pattern and has a fun full skirt. Now, if only it was warm enough for summer dresses...
DANCING
Boyd and I have been really diving into this one. Last night we went to a swing dance party - with Charleston and Lindy Hop lessons before the live band came. Boyd really liked the Charleston. (Click the link for a video of Charleston - someday, we'll be that good...)
All that swing is so improvisational, and there's something refreshing about the contained nature of waltzing. We've taken two 3-hour waltzing workshops, learning the basic turning steps (right turns and left turns) along with the basic Viennese waltz steps. After dancing at the Dickens Fair last Christmas I really committed myself to learn to waltz better and it is so exciting that Boyd is liking it as much as I am.
If you're in the Toronto area and want to join us for the dance parties or lessons - let me know! We'd be happy to have you.
NON-FICTION
I'm not reading only fiction this year - the resolution is just to challenge myself to find more non-fiction books I might like to read. (You can see my booklist as I go this year on Goodreads!) I'm really liking Travels in Siberia (a travelogue/history book about Siberia); there's so much about Russian history that I know NOTHING about and his travel stories of thick mosquito clouds and piles of trash everywhere, not to mention remote, empty landscapes, are really interesting. I also started Emily Bazelon's Sticks and Stones book about bullying. I really like Emily on Slate's Political Gabfest podcast and it's interesting to read what she's been working on in depth.
How are your resolutions going? What have you kept? What did you drop in the first week?
Hope you all are well! I look forward to seeing you Minnesota friends in May and you California friends and family in July!


Comments