What I've Been Cooking
Now that Boyd is back to teaching, I'm back on cooking duty. Most of you probably know that while I'm great with baking and fancy meals, I have a hard time thinking of what to cook on an average night (ie something that won't take 3 hours of prep). For inspiration, I borrowed my mom's copy of the great vegetarian cookbook, Moosewood, and I've been experimenting with the crock pot to pretty tasty results!
If your week night meals are in need of a shake-up, consider these winners from the past week:
1. Last night I made Sicilian Cauliflower and Black Olive Gratin from a recent New York Times article. I was super excited to get some excellent cauliflower from the local market that's just a half-block from our house! It was fine as a main dish with bread and butter on the side.
Difficulty (out of 5): 2
Changes: Subbed fresh parsley for dried herb mix that I got from Aunt Linda for Christmas; added red pepper flakes.
Notes: Cut the cauliflower in smaller bits so flavors melt a bit better when baking.
2. This Kale and White Bean Soup was a hit for dinner and it's been just as good (if not better) for lunch the last two days. I don't usually like repeats for more than 2 meals, but this is still SO tasty! I particularly like the texture of the kale leaves, carrot chunks and then the clear broth.
Difficulty (out of 5): 3
Changes: Used dried oregano instead of fresh rosemary. Didn't add quite as much water.
If your week night meals are in need of a shake-up, consider these winners from the past week:
1. Last night I made Sicilian Cauliflower and Black Olive Gratin from a recent New York Times article. I was super excited to get some excellent cauliflower from the local market that's just a half-block from our house! It was fine as a main dish with bread and butter on the side.Difficulty (out of 5): 2
Changes: Subbed fresh parsley for dried herb mix that I got from Aunt Linda for Christmas; added red pepper flakes.
Notes: Cut the cauliflower in smaller bits so flavors melt a bit better when baking.
2. This Kale and White Bean Soup was a hit for dinner and it's been just as good (if not better) for lunch the last two days. I don't usually like repeats for more than 2 meals, but this is still SO tasty! I particularly like the texture of the kale leaves, carrot chunks and then the clear broth.
Difficulty (out of 5): 3
Changes: Used dried oregano instead of fresh rosemary. Didn't add quite as much water.
Notes: Make sure you have the parmesan cheese rind! It cooks down to a gooey, cheesy mess, adding rich flavor to the broth. Top with cheddar cheese.
3. With the soup, I served Corn Muffins from a recipe from Solbar, where I had my birthday dinner (blog post forthcoming). I smartly halved the recipe (so that we wouldn't have too many), BUT I forgot to half the butter, so they were butter bombs! Yum.
Difficulty (out of 5): 2
Changes: Used paprika instead cayenne. Double the butter...
Notes: Excellent with honey. Maple syrup isn't necessary in batter.
4. From Moosewood, I made the Lentil-Walnut Burgers, half of which are still in the freezer for a quick-fix meal sometime soon. They were so flavorful and quite filling. A good substitute for vegetarians who are craving the bun, ketchup, etc. experience.
Difficulty (out of 5): 4.5
Changes: Used celery instead bell pepper; soy sauce instead of worcestershire sauce.
Notes: At first I was doubtful that the batter would ever stick together enough to actually form patties, but after chilling for the full hour in the fridge they did stay together enough to fry in the pan. It's definitely a messy meal though. Luckily it made enough for two dinners and freezes easily already in patty form!
5. TONIGHT! Vegetarian Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce. I've already made this recipe once before and it's absolutely amazing! Cooking for 7 hours really does allow the flavors to meld and the tomatoes to break down nicely. Yum! It only takes about 15 minutes to chop and saute the veggies and then it's ready to sit for 7 hours, so a good make-it-and-leave-it meal for coming home just before dinner.
Difficulty (out of 5): 1.5
Changes: Used celery instead bell pepper; really any mix of veggies would work. Added Aunt Linda's dried herbs and some dried red peppers.
Notes: Boyd adds a few tablespoons of olive oil while mixing it with the pasta at the end. Serve with cheesy toast and enjoy!
Do you have any good weeknight recipes to share? I'd love to give them a try! Bon appetite!
![]() |
| Hazel stays warm in the cold temps this week. So cute! |



Comments
http://farmhousedelivery.com/blog/spanish-sweet-potato-tortilla-with-salsa-verde/
:)
Solyanka
samosas
veggies w/ spicey peanut sauce
Happy cooking!
Mom