A Tribute to Mr. Qwilleran
It
was the first time I had ever held a cat. I didn’t know how cradle to him or pick
him up by the scruff of his neck. So I gave it my best shot, and that day in
the animal shelter I began my adventure, my friendship, and my growing with Mr.
Qwilleran.
We picked
him out at an animal shelter, in a room full of other kitties all climbing
over each other, pouncing on each other's tails, hopping onto towers and
scratching posts. And Qwill crawled right up into Boyd's lap and began playing
with his necklace. How could we not choose this ball of fun and affection?
On
the car ride home, the 6-week old kitty meowing loudly in a cardboard box, we
discussed names. He had been named Cheerio by the shelter staff, who seemed to
have an odd cereal thing going, but we wanted a more distinguished name. And I
had one in mind. We'd been listening to a series of books called the "Cat
Who..." mysteries. I'm a total sucker for cozy mysteries and in this one
the detective, Mr. Qwilleran (with a q-w), solves small-town mysteries with the
help of his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum-Yum. And so Cheerio became
Qwilleran, or Mr. Q, or just, Qwill.
Qwill
had some misadventures in his first few weeks at 119 Bedford St. Exploring a
candle for the first time he got too close and singed his eyebrow whiskers.
After mastering the jump from the bathroom floor to the toilet lid to the
bathroom counter, he was shocked to find himself hopping directly into the
toilet bowl – wet and shaggy furred. He had a similar sensation when, after
poking his paw into the bath water, he fell right into the warm tub where I was
soaking!
I
was completely happy with just one cat, until I was visiting a friend’s house
in Arizona and saw two kitties, an orange cat and a stripe-y cat, curled up together
on a chair. It was such a sweet moment. When I got back, a friend mentioned
that she needed to find a new home for her tortoiseshell kitty. And, despite
Boyd’s warning that tortoiseshell cats can be neurotic, we welcomed Hazel (nee
Mazie, nee Macy) into our home.
Qwill
was so curios – living up to the characteristics of a good cat – about this new
little thing entering his domain! We kept Hazel in our bedroom to get her used
to the place and Qwill wouldn’t leave her alone; swiping under the door and
sticking out his nose to catch a whiff of her.
After
a week, when Hazel finally ventured out from under the bed, they chased each
other up and down the halls of our apartment. Hissing and growling was constant
until Hazel finally learned to defend herself against the much larger Qwill. In
fact, from her perch on the couch armrest, she had the perfect position to bat
Qwill right between the eyes – getting him every time.
I
remember taking a photo of the first time they sat calmly in the same room – resting peacefully. And soon enough they eased into a
comfortable love/hate, sibling relationship.
Qwill
was a sweet cat. Boyd could pick him up and roll him onto his back and pet his
belly, working Qwill into a purring frenzy. He’d hop up on my lap and purr so
loud it sounded like thunder. He’d also wait for us, sitting in the windowsill,
watching for us to come home. When I did yoga, Qwill sat on the mat too. When
Boyd worked on his dissertation, Qwill sat on the keyboard.
I
think some of Qwill’s happiest moments were in Santa Cruz. Early on he
successfully conquered my parent’s backyard, driving away the past ruler, a
Siamese named Wasabi. We’d see Qwilleran sitting for hours just watching
gophers pop their heads up and then disappear down their holes. He’d sun
himself on the tree house porch, watching birds fly down from the tall trees.
He’d make cozy nests for himself in the grass clippings in the compost area.
Good times! Even a run-in with a skunk didn’t deter him from going outside.
What a shock to move from those wide-open spaces of the West to Connecticut where, because of our apartment arrangement, he couldn’t even go outside. Qwill got (even more) lazy and chunky. I resolved then to make outdoor access for Qwill a priority. In spite of all the warnings about outside cats having shorter lives, I never regretted allowing him to run free.
As I
think most people do with pets – and, let me know if I’m the only one – we gave
a voice to Qwill. His personality was inquisitive; always wondering, “what’s
the deal with that?” and hopping in and out of boxes until he figured it out.
He
was as single-minded as Winnie-the-Pooh, except instead of honey, his focus was
on tuna (or as he called it, hu-na). [Side note: he’d actually growl when you
gave him real fish or fish skin, warning off anyone else who might want to take
it from him. For her part, Hazel was not
interested.]
He
was a lounge singer and was known to sing any song changing the lyrics to tuna
or other things in his existence. His favorite? To the tune of the Kinks’ song “Lola”:
“Qwill’s a dude, a most awesome-est dude, he’s a dude, he’s a dude, oh he’s
such a dude; he’s so dude-y, D-U-D-E dude-yyyyyyyy…” How can you resist such a
charmer? It’s hard to stop his voice from slipping into my head now.
Moving
to Toronto was hard for Qwill. He had to get into a new routine. The yippy dogs
next door gave him a scare on one of his first trips out, and he’d get into
hissing matched with “bad kitty” on the other side. We were so busy settling in
ourselves, trying to update our lives to the Canadian way of things and we
didn’t get around to updating his collar tag. We got new phones but didn’t add
the new number. We didn’t realize that you are required to register house cats
in Toronto.
Then
Qwill didn’t come home one night in October. I was in California and Boyd left
on a trip the next day and didn’t see Qwill in the morning before he had to go
to their airport. I got home the next day and there was still no sign of dear
Qwill. The food that Boyd had left out for him was left untouched, which could
mean that he never came around whining at the door with no one to answer. There’re
a million places that Qwill could be right now. My dearest wish is that he has
found a welcoming home and is charming another family, sharing his love and
purrs with them, warming their laps.
It’s
been over a month now. We’ve posted signs, talked to neighbors, registered him
lost with the city, notified the microchip company (which doesn’t have any
office or network in Canada…). We’ve heard so many stories of cats coming back
after long absences, so we still hold hope. I’ve been putting off writing this
blog post, but it feels right to honor him now with this tribute. Both of us
still have frequent dreams of finding our orange kitty, or seeing him wandering
home.
Hazel
hasn’t been the same since her “brother” left. She’s much more whiney and
demanding of our attention. Maybe she actually misses having someone to chase
her around!
There
have been some unexpected comforts for us. We live in front of a cemetery and
one of the graves is for a family named Cwil. I brought flowers to the grave
last week and took time to remember our Qwill, say prayers for him, and let him
know we always love him.
I
want to end by thanking all of you who cared for Qwill over the six years he
was with us, all those who played with him, let him in and out of the house,
cleaned his litter box, knitted him catnip mice, cleaned up his real mice
“presents,” and all those who have comforted us in this loss. I feel extremely
lucky to have had such a wonderful first cat, and he’ll always be my #1 Cat
Son, as he liked to call himself.
I put together an album of all my favorite Qwill moments, which you can see here.


Comments
Peter