Cue, Routine, Reward
Did you read the article "How Companies Learn Your Secrets" in the NY Times last week? It was about the amazing statistics that Target collects about customers and their buying habits. You might find this information gathering creepy (I find it fascinating) but what really stuck out for me is how the article describe habits.
This year, I'm happy to report, I've managed to create a new routine! This is essentially because I've discovered the ULTIMATE reward for myself! A sauna. Ahhhhhhhh. You might remember how much I relished the sensation of feeling totally warm all over in the mud baths this January. So it stands to reason that a hot, steamy sauna is enough to convince to do almost anything.
Boyd is teaching at Macalester College this semester and (being a private college) they give free gym access to visiting professors and their spouses. And furthermore, (being a private college) they have saunas in their gym locker rooms!
For the last month, my new habit has been, three days a week: cue=want to feel warm (often!); routine=do the elliptical machine for 30 minutes; reward=Hot shower and SAUNA!!
The take away message? The way to form a new habit is by finding the right reward.
"First, there is a cue, a trigger that tells your brain to go into automatic mode and which habit to use. Then there is the routine, which can be physical or mental or emotional. Finally, there is a reward, which helps your brain figure out if this particular loop is worth remembering for the future."All this is especially interesting in light of my recent gym habit. People who know me may be confused at this moment, since I've never, ever been a "gym" person. Typically, my exercise routine goes like this: cue=want to get outside; routine=walk somewhere to get a reward=treat (ie coffee, beer, food). Winter usually breaks up this routine because it gets too cold and even I can't convince myself to go out for a walk to get a treat.
This year, I'm happy to report, I've managed to create a new routine! This is essentially because I've discovered the ULTIMATE reward for myself! A sauna. Ahhhhhhhh. You might remember how much I relished the sensation of feeling totally warm all over in the mud baths this January. So it stands to reason that a hot, steamy sauna is enough to convince to do almost anything.
Boyd is teaching at Macalester College this semester and (being a private college) they give free gym access to visiting professors and their spouses. And furthermore, (being a private college) they have saunas in their gym locker rooms!
For the last month, my new habit has been, three days a week: cue=want to feel warm (often!); routine=do the elliptical machine for 30 minutes; reward=Hot shower and SAUNA!!
The take away message? The way to form a new habit is by finding the right reward.
Comments