I love squash!

I am so excited that it is fall squash season! The farmer's markets in New Haven seem to be shrinking as the summer growing season comes to an end, but there is now a wonderful array of squash available. Yum! Oh, and the bread lady still comes to sell her most excellent sour dough boules.

A few years ago I got the book "A Harvest of Pumpkin and Squash" and each fall I get really into trying out some of the super-tasty recipes. Last week, with my delicata squash, I made the Delicata Squash Rings with Arugula, Fuyu Persimmon, Dried Cranberries and Feta Salad. Yum! I substituted apple for the persimmon, because I could get that at the farmer's market. I also left the squash skins on rather than pealing them. Let's face it, if I don't have to peel a vegetable, it's just easier not to - and the man at the market said delicata skins are okay to eat. Check out how fancy it looks! The vinaigrette went so well with the pan-grilled squash (which made them slightly caramelized), the sweet cranberries and the salty feta.
Along with the salad, I also made a pizza with dough from the supermarket. The pizza was not squash related but it did turn out really good. I used fresh, soft mozzarella which made it just how I like it. The dough comes in a package and so all I had to do was stretch it out, plop it on the cookie tray, and top it with goodies. Here is the final product:
I'm on my way to the farmer's market again today. This time I think I'll get some butternut squash and try making the butternut squash polenta with fried sage. Yum! I love squash!

Oh, and I also love my new haircut! Here's me with my future politician model shot:

Comments

Louise said…
Ooooh YUMMY!! Did I tell you I made the butternut squash soup you sent the recipe for? It was delicious!

Cute picture!!
Tanya Cothran said…
Oh I'm so glad you liked the soup. I'll definitely be making it sometime soon too.
Gena said…
I love squash too! I only realized this in the past year or two. I'm going to try delicata next time I get a chance. Also tops on my squash list are butternut, acorn, and spaghetti. By the way, I replied to your comment on my blog.

Cute haircut!
:)
Elder said…
I glanced at the photos before reading the blog like always and thought, Tanya looks just like one of those bright young things on msnbc. Great haircut.

Popular Posts