An observation and a meal

Hello again! I don't know what it is about preppy fashion this season, but I've noticed several Native American motifs popping up in their ads. Just this morning I saw both these ads in the New York Times...

J. Crew: Indians are like pirates
Tommy Hilfiger: Indians as mascots

This is in addition to the Minnetonka Moccasins I've seen at some fancy shoe shops in New Haven.

I don't really have an analysis (seriously, that is Boyd's job) but it is curious!

On another note: I decided I'm going to do more cooking this year. Usually, I am extremely blessed to have a husband that likes cooking and who is a good cook. This year, though, I want to work on my cooking skills and give Boyd a break, since he is so busy.

Tonight was my first cooking night and I got really inspired to make vegetable shepherd's pie! I used this epicurious recipe (I left my Joy of Cooking in Santa Cruz) so of course there were way more steps than necessary. Shepherd's pie is fun because you can basically use up all leftover veggies and then add mashed potatoes on top. This recipe had a great broth, which was a mix of reduced red wine and veggie stock. This was a perfect blend of sweet fruity depth from the wine and spicy salt flavor from the stock. I don't think I had enough veggies because it turned out rather soupy, so that, with the potatoes on top it became a really warming stew. Very yummy, though very un-pie-like.

Comments

Hazel Spupspe said…
Those ads are offensive. That's my analysis. :) In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely made the ads offensive to get publicity.

The shepherd's pie looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you cook!
MMM. Shepherd's pie was one of my staple dinners when you were little. It is comfort food for me, for sure!
Tanya Cothran said…
Mom - I DO remember eating shepherd's pie when I was a kid. I'm sure I had your shepherd's pie in my head as I was making this one. I'd love to get your recipe since this one didn't turn out exactly as I hoped.
Louise said…
I love shepherd's pie, and yours looks fantastic! Adding wine to it sounds like a great idea, I'll be sure to try that next time.
MarthaH said…
Sounds like a great thing to make for the Sacred Harp convention!
Tanya Cothran said…
Wow-Shepherd's pie sure goes a long way! Today I will eat the last bit of leftovers for lunch. Boyd and I both already had it for lunch the last 2 days!

Popular Posts