Life without a KitchenAid

Last Sunday I again made a lovely dinner for me and Boyd. This leftover special was in the form of quiche! It turned out so sooo tasty - with a perfectly flakey crust, lots of mozzarella cheese, onions, celery and sweet (locally grown) tomatoes. This was one dinner that I couldn't wait to eat again as leftovers for lunch the next day! Here's the final product:
I used my mom's pie crust recipe and her quiche recipe in my family cookbook. However, it was quite a challenge to get to that picturesque state... especially in our new small, somewhat-unequipped kitchen!

Here I am at our "counter" space, using my fingers to smoosh the butter and the flour together. This is usually the step that I use the KitchenAid (courtesy of Boyd's Grandma Ruth) for this step. But the recipes always do call for using this hands-on approach for making crust and it did turn out really good.

The next step was also a challenge - no rolling pin! What do I use instead? How about a water bottle filled with cold water? Sure... It sounds like a messy meal, and it was!

Clearing the last hurdle, I put the crust in a cake pan rather than a pie tin and finally I piled in all the cheese, eggs and goodies in the crust. Yum! So it was a meal that required some flexibility and I'm happy to say that I rose to the challenge and made an excellent Sunday meal for me and my loved one! Once I get back from California (here for some weddings and a baby shower) I'll get back to some more cooking fun.

Comments

Hazel Spupspe said…
That quiche looks delicious! You're doing just fine without all the kitchen gadgets. Enjoy the CA celebrations!
Louise said…
Mmmmmm yummy!

Most of the recipes for baked things that I got from my Mum begin with "rub butter into flour" or "cream butter and sugar"... and we always did this by hand. But next time, I'll try it with the mixer!
Elder said…
That is the yummiest quiche i've ever seen.

Popular Posts