On Moving and Community...

I often think about a time when I may be establishing myself in a community where I know people, places, secrets and everything is familiar, where people know my name and we stop each other on the street.

Part of what I love about Jane Austen books and historical fiction is that those communities are often small and defined. There are a set number of families and characteristics something not many people outside their own families. It seems comfortable, cozy, and you know what to expect. Of course, in reality, that sounds stifling! The scope of knowledge and experience is limited and sometimes you can’t help but see people whether you want to or not.

On the other hand, the other life I dream about is one always filled with newness. Living in many different places opens the door to constant discovery. There is a chance to meet new people and get to hear from them about the places, secrets, and favorite spots. New routines are established. In this case, the new person shares back with new friends about other places, creating fresh air in a community and expanding the base of experiences. The traveler has to navigate and may take wrong turns rather than know where to go. They are always saying good-bye and catching up on the rules of the new place. But the mix-ups creates new learning, new third options, a possibility for both a traveler and a community to grow and the world to shrink.

It’s easier to move around when Boyd and Tanya together is always Home.

Here are some of my favorite home memories:

At home with Bedford House with baby Qwill
BBQing in the backyard
Deep frying turkeys for Thanksgiving at Thorn Street
Boyd's new desk with a view in Santa Cruz

Comments

Hazel Spupspe said…
I love moving but I'm also enjoying putting down roots. I guess it's all about balance and keeping it interesting. That was a fun Thanksgiving! :)

Popular Posts