"I don't usually say this..."

I'm thrilled with many features of the new, expanded Seward Co-op and I think my very favorite is the meat counter with a real live butcher! Growing up vegetarian I never really approached a meat counter until recently and only VERY recently is it that I took the brave step toward the counter and actually asked to buy some meat. Any worries that I might have had simply disappear at the Seward Co-op, mostly because of the friendly, non-scary people behind the counter. So now I am free to order freshly cut sandwich meat (thinly sliced), freshly made sausage (cheddar brats, obviously) and even ask for recommendations!

Last time Boyd and I went to the Co-op and asked for recommendations for the best fish for dinner the kind butcher started, "I don't usually say this..." - now that could go anywhere! What doesn't he usually say? He concluded "but the walleye looks good." Mmmm walleye, I had never heard of this tasty white fish before moving to Minnesota but here it is hard to miss! Usually though, walleye is breaded and fried and preferably in a hoagie. This time we pan fried the walleye and Boyd made a fancy balsamic reduction sauce. I'd give you the recipe but Boyd is one of those people who can make up recipes as he goes along - and it always turns out good!

Here I am enjoying the bounty of the lake:Thank you Seward butcher!

Comments

Popular Posts